Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What is going on with the world?

I have been upset since yesterday afternoon and things keep happening to make me more upset. Nothing bad has happened to us, but it seems like the universe is not treating people well lately, so I'm keeping my eyes open. I'm not very superstitious and I try to have a positive outlook, but it's hard not to be cynical when total crap keeps happening to people.

I got word yesterday that a high school friend lost her house in a fire on Monday and I am so worried about her. We haven't actually talked in a few years, but we email and keep up with each other through blogs and I still care a lot about her. She has 3 kids and while no one was hurt in the fire, they lost EVERYTHING (including their pets, which is horrible!). Thank goodness they weren't home, but I cannot imagine losing everything I own and having to explain to three kids that their pets are gone.

Today, I opened my myspace account to find that one of my friends from college, who is pregnant with her first child, just found out for sure that her son has a birth defect. A pretty scary one, too. I don't know anything about the birth defect and had never even heard of it until today, but apparently it's a fairly common one. I guess kids can live after the surgery to fix the defect, but the fact that some don't makes me cry. How stressful, to learn that your baby is sick only halfway through your pregnancy! I remember how hopeful and excited I was to be pregnant with Bear and I cannot fathom extreme worry being a part of those emotions as well.

Then, I checked the blogs that I read daily to see that someone who was expecting to start the IVF process today has to wait longer, AGAIN. Now, I don't actually know this person in real life, but when you read about someone's thoughts and emotions everyday, you start to feel like you know at least a little about her and you sort of experience those emotions along with her. This girl has been through some serious crap trying to become a mom and it has lasted a number of years. I was so hopeful for her this week and to hear that she has to wait for better conditions AGAIN hurts me, too, although I'm sure it's nothing like what she's having to deal with.

So there you have it: the reasons my eyes are red and why I won't even bother putting mascara on today. I just hope that things get better for everyone soon.

Just so this post isn't completely sad, here's a picture of me and Bear. My friend took this of us at McDonald's yesterday and it turned out really well! This may have to be my new profile picture. I was just looking at the one from July 4th that I am currently using, and Bear looks so young! He is 9 months today, but I haven't taken any pictures of him yet today. I will later and will post those for your viewing pleasure soon.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I didn't know you had a blog, either! Yay!

abbysmom said...

When you get a chance, call me. Who from high school? I'm in Jackson, TN right now. I hate it that we're going to miss each other by a few days. I'll be in Nashville tomorrow night for a while, but I have to head back up Friday morning.

baby baby