Monday, November 24, 2008

I am happy to report...

...that Bear signed his first sign last night! I've been showing him sign language for a few words pretty consistently over the past couple of months and though he smiles when I move his hands to do the correct sign, he's never mimicked me or anything. Last night was different, though! I've been showing him the signs for bath, all done, book, eat, dog, cat, momma and daddy. Which did he choose to do himself first?? It'll make my English professor mama proud--it was BOOK! He loves being read to over and over again, so it makes sense that he would choose book as his first sign. The sign is supposed to be both hands opening like a book and Bear only uses one hand, but it's obvious that he means BOOK! Hopefully this opens the door to a whole new world for the boy and he'll start to understand that communication can happen through different means than just crying!

Also, we did end up seeing Santa yesterday. Bear was confused, I think. He wasn't sure who this guy was and why I backed up real fast after depositing him on said guy's lap (so we could get a picture). He didn't cry, but he did spend a fair amount of time staring at Santa's face. I thought that would make a cute picture, but the picture taking woman waited until he looked our way and sort of half-smiled. The picture we got was free, so it's not the best quality, but I'll try to scan it and see how that comes out. There's also a kind of maniacal looking elf in the background, which I wasn't a big fan of. Bass Pro Shop has a huge aquarium that I thought Bear would be interested in, but he didn't even notice the HUGE catfish inside, because he was too busy staring at the waterfall that fed the tank. Oh well. We had fun.

1 comment:

Maxton's Mommy said...

Aww. he is getting so big. I want to do baby signs with Maxton once he is healthy enough. Good to hear it does work. :-) Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for the info. about the birthing classes. I'm going to call and see what I can come up with.

baby baby