Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Friends and childproofing

Bear and I are headed out to have lunch with some friends from the MOMS club today and I, for one, am happy about this. I have made two really good friends from the club and we have gone out a few times now without the rest of the moms in the club. It's been a LONG time since I've made new friends that I think will turn into lasting friendships and I'm feeling really good about it. I think the problem has been that I haven't run into many people that I have much in common with. I have a graduate degree and have been working in low-level retail management, which is not a very likely combination. Most of the people I worked with were either undergraduate students (and I feel WAY past that stage in my life) or high school graduates without much ambition (a group which I have never been a part of). I always made friends and had favorite people to work with, but I never felt that my life was very much like anyone else's. Apparently, I need to feel that connection to make good friends. I've had friendships everywhere that I've worked and lived, but not any in the last few years that stood the test of time. Hopefully this will change soon. I have really good friends from college and even a couple from high school, but we are spread out all across the country and don't get the chance to see each other very often. Sure, we talk on the phone, but it's just not the same as having friends where you live. Anyhow, hopefully these new friendships will last. They certainly mean a lot to me now.

Bear has really been exploring the floor in our house lately. He can move all around, but is not quite crawling yet. That doesn't stop him from getting anyplace, though! He scoots himself all over the place, usually moving backwards. Today he discovered the springy doorstop and learned that if you pull on it, it makes a funny noise. I foresee me removing all the little rubber caps on those doorstops so that they don't end up in the boy's mouth. I need to do some other childproofing now that he's getting a little more mobile, as well. I'm not sure what else I need to do, but I definitely want to be prepared. I know I'll need to remove the rocks from our gas fireplace, since they are a choking hazard and I'll probably wire the fireplace screen shut so as to avoid any mishaps with the ceramic logs inside. I've already removed anything breakable from all the rooms, unless it's on a high shelf. I've capped all the electrical outlets that a kid could reach and I'm planning on getting cabinet locks pretty soon. Can anyone suggest other stuff I'm forgetting? I'm sure those of you with experience have good advice to offer, so please do!

1 comment:

abbysmom said...

As he starts teething more, he may want to chew on anything. I found Abby chewing on the door hinges because they cold and hard!!!! Sometimes you can't remove it- you just have to watch them. And it gets harder the more mobile they get. Cords are a big thing around our house. Light cords, the cords on the blinds, you name it. Abby used to like to chew on the TV remotes as well.
Also, I miss you and wish we were closer. I have to go to Tupelo in October. Maybe we could get together? I don't know how close it is to you. A couple of hours?

baby baby