Saturday, May 31, 2008

Leapin' Lizards!



In case you don't know this about me, I HATE lizards, turtles, frogs, snakes, alligators, Komodo dragons, etc. Okay, I don't actually hate them, but I REALLY do not want to have to handle them. They are fine with me as long as they stay outside and away from me. However, there must be an inordinate number of them here in Mississippi, because I have had to touch and deal with more lizards here than I ever have in my whole life! I worked at Lowe's before I had Bear and there were always lizards in the propane tank cages and they were often found on the sales floor. One of my cashiers called me one day to let me know that she couldn't work at the returns desk anymore because there was a lizard on her register and she was scared of it. I had to catch it and put it outside...which I did not like AT ALL. But, I did it. I thought it was a rare occurrence and they were just coming in because the doors were open a lot at Lowe's until the lizards started COMING INTO OUR HOUSE! I had a friend visiting when the first one showed up--I was pregnant with Bear and was showing my friend the progress on the nursery and right as she was about to step into the bedroom, a lizard ran across her foot! Well, she's not as grossed out by them as I am, so she just caught it and put it outside. Then, not too long after that, there was one in the master bathroom one day when I was trying to get ready for work. Those things are hard to catch as it is and it ran into our closet. I thought about just leaving it, because it kept running away from me, but then I knew that I would worry that it had gotten into my clothes. So, I caught it (FINALLY!) in a cup and put it outside. Also, we have found a few dead ones or just the tails in the house, we think due to our cat. All of this leads up to what I hope is the big finale of the lizards--yesterday, there was a chewed up, bloody, mangled one IN THE LIVING ROOM!! I carried Bear out of his bedroom yesterday to put him in his bouncy seat in the living room, when I noticed one of our dogs dancing around something on the floor. I assumed it was a bug (MS has a lot of those, too!), but when I looked closer, I realized it was a stinking lizard. Apparently one of our animals brought it inside. I'm not really sure how it got there, but I knew I had to clean it up. Upon closer examination, I found that it's guts were OUTSIDE IT'S BODY and it's tail had not just been snapped off, but CHEWED OFF and was all meaty looking. Ewww. Anyhow, I grabbed a bunch of toilet paper, planning to flush this nasty dead thing, when it started to crawl UP MY ARM! Well, of course, I yelled, which really got the dogs excited. The cat, who I assume brought it inside, just yawned and went back to sleep on the couch. Well, it couldn't run too far, because as I mentioned, it's insides were actually outside. I eventually got up the nerve to catch it again and flushed it to put it out of its misery. UGH. I hope that the lizard stories are over now, but the summer has just started, so I'm not so sure. Are there lizard exterminators?

No comments:

baby baby