Monday, May 5, 2008

Oh, that Bear!

It seems like I'm always blogging about Bear's sleeping habits, but this is what's on my mind usually, so here I go again! This rolling over thing that Bear has started is getting ridiculous! It's almost like he can't get in his crib without rolling over and then he gets so frustrated that he starts crying. This happens about every half hour and I get so tired of getting up to reposition him, console him, feed him, hold him, etc., that I have ended up letting him sleep with me for the past 2 nights. Bad momma, I know, but I just want to get some snoozing in before he wakes up at 6 am. One night we slept on the couch (= hurt neck for Momma) and the next night in our bed (= not so happy Daddy + sweaty Momma). Who knows what's going to happen tonight? I'm hoping that this stage in his life, like all the others have, will only last for a few days and then he'll be cool with his crib again. Also, I just need to accept that some kids don't sleep well until they are like 5! All these crappy nights do not mean I am a bad mom or that Bear is a difficult kid!

Bear, with the okay from his dr., has been "tasting" rice cereal since the ripe old age of 2 months. We introduced him to eating from a spoon at that age, but he wasn't so good at it. He ate some cereal (well, mostly formula) from the spoon, but he also spit quite a bit out. We moved on to pureed foods a couple of weeks ago and he is just starting to REALLY get it. He is opening his mouth wide for more food and is even swallowing most of it. It is just unbelievable to me how much he changes in just a few days! He'll go from not being able to quite roll over one day to being able to roll like crazy the very next night. Or like with the eating, he went from spitting a lot out and me having to throw quite a bit of baby food down the disposal to eating everything that I introduce to him and no more food wasting.

I'm happy about all of these changes that are taking place in him, but I see why many people say that they don't remember much about the early months with their kids. It happens so fast that you don't even remember when they couldn't do things like crawl or open cabinets or feed themselves. Oh, Bear's not to those milestones yet, believe me, but when he is, I'm sure the time will just fly by. That's one of the reasons I wanted to blog about our lives right now. I don't want to forget! I want to remember for when (and if!) I have more kids...I want to remember in case I forget to write it down in his baby book...I want to remember when other moms ask me when he did certain things...and most of all, I want to remember when he's got kids of his own and wants to compare them to himself. Max and I find ourselves doing this so much and we are both lucky enough to have moms who kept good notes in our baby books and then sent them to us. I'm just pretty sure that with all this sleep deprivation that I am bound to forget the little details and I don't want to. Right now, it seems like I could never forget them because they are what I deal with all day every day, but I know I won't remember how he's doing some serious cooing in his swing right now (and NOT CRYING for me to come get him). I get so excited by those little things and it will be nice to maybe make this blog into a book someday for him and for me and his daddy.

No comments:

baby baby